Hello, crafty friends! I have a fun stamping project to show you today, but not stamping on paper. I decided to try something NEW. I found a sweet, plain poly-cotton lace top and wanted to gussy it up for my mom. So I pulled out my Altenew floral stamps and looked at their January 2019 Inspiration Challenge for, well, inspiration as to where to start with colors:
Those colors are right up mom’s alley, so I gathered up the Altenew stamp sets I thought would work (four of which were brand NEW! (New AletNEW for the SSS Mon. & Weds. Something NEW challenges! LoL!)) and started laying out the stamps to get a idea of how I wanted to place them, and decided a cascade from the right shoulder down to the left waist would look nice…
I placed a thick rubber stamping pad inside the shirt to protect the backside from any bleed-though (there wasn’t any) and to help get a good impression from the stamps. I used the top of the MISTI stamping tool to pick up as many of the stamps as I could and moved the others away. Then loaded up the stamps with ink, flipped the lid the opposite way from usual and held my breath…
This was my first time using the NEW Brutus Monroe Surface Inks that I had purchased for this project and a couple of other ideas I have in my pile of whims. They’re supposed to be permanent once heat set. I sure hope so!!!
The impressions were light, but there. As the fabric stuck to the stamps and lifted, I was afraid to re-stamp them and have them slightly off.
I continued until I had the design I wanted complete…
Now the hard part… I used paint brushes and picked up the ink off the inkpads to paint the flowers. Painting on cloth with ink is VERY different than painting on paper! Some results I was quite pleased with the depth I was able to achieve…
Others, turned out a hot mess…
Fortunately, I was able to stamp over it with a darker color and got a more natural look…
At this point, I ironed the entire piece. First I used paper towels to protect from bleeding, but nothing came off, so I took them off and ironed again. I’ll come back and edit this post if mom has any trouble with the ink bleeding when she washes it.
To jazz up the butterfly and hummingbird, I put down some Fabri-tac fabric glue and covered it with crystal glitter that picks up the colors beneath…
I really didn’t feel like masking when I stamped them out and that left too much white space. I had thought to use rhinestones, but they were too heavy. Instead, I used the smallest of the halftone circles to fill in between the flowers. From a distance it just looks like part of the greenery.
- Altenew stamp sets: Adore You*; Beautiful Day; Bejeweled; Camelia Build-a-Flower*; Dahlia Blossoms*; Halftone Circles; Lotus; Peony Bouquet & Wishing You* (all sets with an asterisk are NEW)
- Brutus Monroe Surface Inks: Cabbage, Jack-o-Lantern, Jurassic, Lapis, Marsalla, Oz, Rouge, Terracotta, Sage, Sea, Speckled Egg, Stargazer, Wagon and Zest
- Beacon Fabri-Tac fabric glue
- Stampendous Fran-tage Crystal Micro Glitter
I am playing along with the following challenges – click on any one for more information on how you can join the fun!
- Altenew January 2019 Inspiration Challenge
- Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge – Use Something New (stamping on fabric, 4 AlteNEW stamp sets (see supply list: and Brutus Monroe Inks)
- Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge – Something New (stamping on fabric, 4 AlteNEW stamp sets (see supply list: and Brutus Monroe Inks)
Thanks for joining me today. I hope you like this project as much as my mom did!! (But, then, she’d’ve liked it just plain, too… After all, she’s my mom! lol!) Have a lovely, crafty day!
p.s. any ads on this page are placed by WordPress and are not endorsed by me.
9/12/19 Thank you , Altenew for featuring me on your Instagram post: Caught by Altenew (HERE)!