Welcome back for my card from the second less of Altenew’s Creative Watercolor Media Class! This lesson, taught by the amazingly talented Debby Hughes of Lime Doodle Design, was on using shimmer sprays. Since the set she used is still on my wishlist, I started out with the Lotus set and colors used in the May 2017 Inspiration Challenge:
I don’t have the Altenew shimmer sprays, but did have another brand, but only the light pink and greens matched the inspiration colors. So, I grabbed my Altenew Coral Berry which is just like the hot pink and, by mixing it on my craft mat with the glimmer mist, the entire flower came out all shiny!
The aqua ‘pond’ background is made EXTRA shiny by adding a mix of Distress Mica Spray and Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Mist.
Tips: I love the tip Debbie gave to add aqua to the pink and yellow to the greens for some extra shading and depth!
Also, if you don’t want your white foam tape to show up under black paper, run a Sharpie Marker along the edges BEFORE adhering. (The voice of experience says that trying to do it afterward can lead to some oopsies!)
If you’re like me and don’t tape your watercolor paper down and it warps, Tombow Xtreme adhesive holds it flat/
- Altenew Lotus tamp and die sets
- Altenew Beautiful Day stamp set (sentiment)
- Tsukineko Versamark Ink
- Stampendous Glamour Detail Gold embossing powder
- Altenew Crisp Dye Ink: Coral Berry
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists: Bubble Light Green; Dazzling Diamonds, Forest Green, Lime Light, S.W.A.K., and Sunflower
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Mica Spray: Brushed Pewter
- Canson Cold Press Watercolor paper 140#
- Simply Defined 5×7 Bright White card base 200#
- Tombow Xtreme adhesive
- Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue
I am entering this in the following galleries and challenges:
- Altenew Creative Watercolor Media Student Gallery.
- Altenew May 2017 Inspiration Challenge: Watercolor Lotus Card
So far, there have been some excellent tips from each lesson (including one on die-cutting that I needed!). Although they are geared toward Altenew products, you can easily adapt them to similar products you may have on hand. I’m looking forward to working on the rest of the classes!
Hopefully I’ll see you again tomorrow!
p.s. any ads on this page are placed by WordPress and are not endorsed by me.