Good morning! I have a fun cocoa card for you today – its both a shaker and a spinner!
And, if I can get this link to work, here’s a few seconds of video showing it in action. I am VERY amateur with videos (almost as much as with hand lettering. lol!), so begging your pardon in advance… (If it doesn’t show up, you’ll have to click on the link.)
Want to see how it was done? (if not, skip to the end. hahaha)
to make a ring for the pennies of the spinner to glide through, I used the smallest die of the Grand Ovals and the largest die of the Large Classic Ovals. A die from the Small Classic Ovals was used for the window.
I don’t have any pierced dies, but a tracing wheel with a serrated edge and a ruler works almost as well for straight lines… I haven’t tried ovals or circles yet. (you can click on the picture to enlarge it and see the piercing.)
Punch two rounds of Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 3d Foam Sheets to use as spacers between your pennies.
Cut acetate the next larger size oval than your opening and affix with Glossy Accents. Die cut the word ‘Chocolate’ and cut away the h, l, and te and affix the word Cocoa to the front of the acetate with Glossy Accents.
Line the backs of the cardstock with foam. I find die cutting foam compresses it too much and personally prefer hand-cutting it. The cut edges don’t have to be pretty, but they DO have to be far enough away from the slider to allow the pennies to pass freely. (Full disclosure – it’s a little tight in the spot of the shaker where the video stops… sometimes it goes through, but sometimes it needs a little push.)
Make sure the foam around the shaker part is completely stuck down and continuous all around so that nothing will escape. I used E6000 glue, which was probably overkill, but I didn’t want to experiment with anything and knew it’d hold. I’ve had several failures with sticky sheets and foam. Next time I will try foam that already has a sticky back!
Glue the outer part of the card to the base first. I like to run a dryer sheet across the card base and the shaker to prevent static electricity. Place the bottom penny with the foam dots stacked right in the center and a pile of shaker goodies in the center of your card. Glue down the center piece.
All that’s left is to glue Newton and his cup of hot chocolate to the other penny (please remember that chocolate is NOT good for real-life furry friends as it contains theobromine that they can’t digest), and then stick him centered on the foam penny. NOW you can say you’ve got your two cents worth in. (Please don’t throw tomatoes… you’ll only get your screen dirty!)
OH…. then you notice that ti’s a little plain and you wish you’d have distressed the edges and stamped something in the corners. But stamping on an uneven surface can be so risky… Thank you MISTI!! I had to re-stamp the sentiment and the solid cup 3 times, but it came out perfect!
- Newton’s Nook: Newton Loves Coffee stamp set
- Spellbinders: Classic Ovals Large & Small and Grand Ovals dies
- Verve Chocolate Word die (cut out the h,l,te and you have Cocoa!)
- Memento Rich Cocoa dye ink
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Gathered Twigs (distressing)
- Copic Markers: C1; R29; Y17; YR02, 21, 24, 32;
- Tombow Dual Brush Pen 879 for hand lettering
- Sakura Pigma Micron 01 pen brown for doodles
- Shaker fill:
- Martha Stewart Crafts Vintage Leaf Glitter – Brownstone
- Recollections Mica Flakes
- JoAnn Advantus Sequins & seed beads
- Core’dinations Chocolate Lovers Cardstock kraft & cream
- Darice Foamies sheet Lt Tan
- Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L Adhesive Sheets & 3D Foam Creative Sheets
- E6000 glue
- Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents
- Dritz marking wheel and a ruler (for piercing)
- Misc.: acetate, 2 pennies
I’m playing along in the following hops and challenges:
- Coffee Lovers 2015 Winter Blog Hop: http://wp.me/p5K3PQ-4w
- Newton’s Nook Inky Paws… already closed. sigh. >^.^< I can’t seem to time my Newton cards right. lol!
- A late addition… I just visited Verve’s blog and found they added a terrific challenge that this fits.. A Cup of Kindness. With the the red and tan colors and the kind sentiment…. http://vervestamps.blogspot.com/p/inspiration-challenge.html
I hope you had fun today! I hope to be seeing you again real soon.
p.s. Any ads you may see are placed by WordPress and are not endorsed by me.